Regular dental examinations can help in the early assessment of oral cancer. Modern technologies have made enhanced visualization of oral health an easy process. VELscopeVx Enhanced Oral Assessment System has enabled easy analysis of mucosal abnormalities. It is a portable, handheld device that uses natural tissue fluorescence to detect abnormalities in the mouth. The medical device is recognized by the World Health Organisation. At Reef Dental, the expert dentists use VELscope for oral cancer screening.
The procedure of Oral cancer screening using VELscope.
The dentist provides a regular dental checkup to the patient, including checking the teeth, gums, and jaws. The patient has to rinse the mouth using a solution before the screening. The clinical images are taken through VELscopeVx to easily view lesions in the mouth. The blue light of the device detects premalignant and malignant lesions. A surgical excision biopsy of the lesion helps to determine the histology of the lesion. The results of the examination can be assessed to understand the condition of the patient. The device allows dentists to detect dysplastic cells. The device helps to see what ordinary eyes can't see.
Benefits of VELscope oral screening.
- It helps to detect all types of patches inside the mouth. The device exposes white and red patches.
- It shows the areas of problems that cannot be viewed in a normal dental checkup. It also makes clear reports of the assessment.
- The examination using VELscope is painless and does not cause any discomfort. No anesthesia or numbing is required for the screening.
- The process of the test is quick and provides results quickly. It takes less than 3 minutes to complete the entire screening.
- It helps to detect cancerous and precancerous tissues. The purpose of the screening is to understand the different types of tissues that may lead to cancer and start the treatment immediately.
Reef Dental has modern technologies installed in dentistry to provide utmost care to dental health. The expert dentists assess the condition of the lesions in the mouth and give the required treatments to the patient. Call (415) 563-8123 to book an appointment to visit the dentistry at San Francisco, CA.